Saturday, November 14, 2009

Things I don't want to Forget.

From November

Sometimes it's easy to daydream about when my boys get older. Sleeping 8 hours uninterrupted if I choose. No diapers. Independent nose wipers. Things like that.
But there are other times when I want to freeze time. When I'm snuggling with Jackson and reading him books before he goes to sleep and he gives me that sweet smile that melts my heart. When I'm rocking Chase in the middle of the night and he smiles up at me looking through his sleepy eyes.


From November
I want to remember Jackson’s slightly chubby arms wrapped around my neck when he gives me hugs. How every night he asks me to rest with him and giggles like crazy when I snuggle next to him for a few minutes talking about our day and making up stories for each other. The way he tilts his head to the side and asks quite seriously “How you doing, Mom?” The way he pats my shoulder when he can tell I’m grumpy or sad and says “It’s okay, Mom. I’ll take care of you.” How often he says "I love you."
From November

The way he asks to be wrapped up in his towel 'like a baby' after his baths even though he insists he’s a ‘big boy’ the rest of the time. The way he tickles Chase and they laugh together. I know that before too long he won't ask me in the middle of the mall "can I have a hug, mom?" like he did today. I know that he won't stop me in the canned foods aisle at the grocery store and pat my hand and say "I love you sooooo much."





From November
I want to remember Chase’s sweet gummy smiles that will be turning into toothy smiles so soon. The way he watches me while he eats with his big, beautiful eyes and his long lashes. How he’ll pull back and just smile at me adoringly. The way his eyes follow Jackson and how quick he is to smile as soon as Jackson smiles. How he cranes his neck all around the room when he hears Jackson’s voice.
From November

His INCREDIBLE laugh. The way he sometimes snuggles into my shoulder or my chest when he’s really sleepy and sighs. The peace he emits when he’s falling asleep and his eyes close ever so slowly with longer and longer blinks. The way he slaps his arm up and down smacking my arm when I’m trying to sleep and he wants me to wake up. It’s his ‘pay attention to me!’ slap.


From November

So I want to remember, cherish, and hold on to these moments as they pass because I know there will be good and bad with each stage of life. And there is so much good right now. I don't want to be one of those people who dwells on the past and talks about how much I miss the baby stage. I want to enjoy my boys every day. Even when Jackson makes his favorite 'mean face'.
From November
Even when there are diapers to change. Even when there are fights. Even when they are teenagers. Oh please,do not let them act like I did as a teenager. =)
Thank you, God for every day you give me with these precious boys.

14 comments:

courtneybecca said...

I go back to the Karen Kingsbury book. And you've got many more years of these precious moments. Funny, but my boys always said "wrap me up like a baby" when I was getting them out of the tub. Then I'd carry them to my bed and lay them down and give them their clothes. My Sam, almost 6, still says it. They can act so grown up in front of friends at school, but still want to snuggle in the bed with me at home! Cherish the moments, because they do pass so quickly, but each stage is full of it's own joys!! :)

piersonam said...

Heeeey... were you trying to make me cry!? Well, mission accomplished! Every stage Luke has gone through I think is my favorite until I get to the next! :)

Samantha said...

Oh your boys are just so adorable!!

Michelle said...

precious!

E said...

What a beautiful post! I'm jealous. :) This blog will be such a treat to your boys one day... You are such a good (and real) mom.

P.S. Your blog looks awesome!! I like the new updates!

Jill Brochard said...

gummy smiles -- I so miss those. Thank goodness my BIL is having twins and lives only minutes away otherwise I would be having major baby fever!!

Jay said...

These pictures warm my heart!

Amanda said...

I <3 your blog, Sarah! Sooo true!

Ryans Blog said...

Seriously.. almost teared up, Sarah. For real.

The Reeses said...

OH. MY> WORD. I'm crying like a baby!!! I love it, what a wonderful post. Gavin still asks me to wrap him like a baby after bath. . .and I love it. You are very blessed with two precious boys, and they are especially blessed with an incredible Mom. Love you friend!!

Anna Marie said...

Oh, the boys are getting so big and they are cuter each time I see them. :)

Tanya said...

So sweet Sarah! Your boys are adorable. By the way I LOVE the football your sister made! Way cute!

David, Jenn, and Abby said...

This is the sweetest blog ever! Made me teary. Your boys are so cute and i completely understand. It's hard to stop and focus and the great things about the stages you are in with your kids! Although i do look forward to the day i get to wake her up in the morning! Are you in NOVA for Christmas at all? We should get together! Email me: gouldshouse@hotmail.com.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post. Trust me. It goes SO fast.